Useful Links (if any)
Hi, been looking on your site and it really good. any advice on how to approach the weekend without going mad on the alcohol?
Hi Jill, thanks for getting in touch. There are lots of ways to minimise your drinking and have a great time at the weekend. Here are some tips:
· If you can, try to have ‘spacers’ in between drinks, so alternate alcoholic drinks with soft drinks – it’ll stop you getting dehydrated and you’ll have less of a hangover the next day.
· Try to have some drink-free days, that could be lazy days by the pool, taking part in classes like aerobics, going on day trips and walks, going for a nice meals etc.
· When you’re out with your friends, spending the evening dancing can be great fun, and takes the focus away from alcohol.
· Food helps absorb alcohol so for a nice meal before you go out to the pubs/clubs, it’ll give you more energy to enjoy yourself too.
· Make a decision to stop drinking at a certain time of the night and stick to it (you’ll thank yourself for it in the morning!).
The guideline safe amount of alcohol for women is 14 units spread over a week with 2 or 3 alcohol free days. A unit is a small glass of wine, a pub measure of spirits or a half pint of ordinary strength lager.
Have a look at the attached Info Scotland link for some more information about sensible drinking.
Keeping to a sensible limit with your drinks means that you can still enjoy yourself, be yourself and feel in control of your actions and not have to deal with a hangover the next day.
For general support and advice about alcohol related issues you can also contact Drinkline on 0800 7 314 314.
I hope this helps Jill, if there's anything I haven't covered please get back in touch. Feel free to use this site anytime with any questions or concerns you have. Enjoy your weekend!